Certificate in Horse Care Course Guide
Upskill and improve your career prospects and earning capabilities with The Career Academy. Watch this video and download your free info pack to find out more.
Dive into rich Pet & Animal Care Courses.
Grow your Animal Care Business, learn to render medical assistance to animals and understand wildlife.
Certificate in Horse Care Course Guide
- The early horse
- Survival mechanisms of the early horse
- The modern horse – behaviour and memory
- Using psychology to handle horses
- Catching and leading horses
- Fitting the bridle and saddle
- Tying up a horse
- Safety rules
- Weight carrying ability
- Equine dentition and ageing
- Glossary of terms
- Dentition diagrams and detailed explanation
- Colour and markings
- The shape of the skeleton
- Body proportions and parts
- Conformation problems
- How to describe confirmation
- The digestive System
- The alimentary canal
- The Stomach
- The small intestine
- The large intestine
- Absorption of food
- Groups of food nutrients
- The composition of some common horse feeds
- The principles of watering
- The principles of feeding
- Feeding concentrates and roughages
- Feeding groups of horses at one time
- Advantages and disadvantages of working off grass
- Paddock size and minimum area needed
- Types of fencing
- The water supply
- Fodder trees
- General management of the grass-kept horse
- Management in summer
- Management in winter
- Grooming the grass-kept horse
- Conservation of the land
- Keeping horses at grass on small areas
- Roughing off and turning a horse out
- The skin – epidermis, dermis, the coat
- How the skin regulates body temperature
- Reasons for grooming
- Grooming tools
- Grooming techniques – strapping, sponging, brushing
- Using a stable rubber, dealing with stable stains on grey coats
- Oiling the feet
- Setting Fair/Brushing off
- Washing the mane and tail
- Washing the sheath
- Shampooing the horse
- Writing resumes – employment readiness
- Competition horses (overview) – event horse, dressage horse, show jumper, endurance
- Educating Horses
- Farm planning
- Short term operations
- Farm business structures
- Quality management systems
- Whole farm planning
- Preparing a farm business
- Managing risk
- Sensitivity analysis
- Financial management
- Record keeping
- Finance sources
- Setting up a small business
Here’s why they chose us:
" As soon as I upgraded my CV, I was invited for a job interview and got the job! "
" Following the completion of this course I have been successful in being offered an Administration role which involves some training courses "
" You wanted me to let you know how I got on with any interviews. I got an office admin role!!! So glad to did the course. "
The Career Academy has given me the opportunity not only to educate myself with accounting software programs but to also receive certification from the software company themselves. It looks amazing on my resume and has opened up so many more job opportunities
FAQs about our Animal Care course
There are no entry requirements or prerequisites to enrol on this course. You can enrol online directly by clicking on “Enrol Now” and following the prompts.
Alternatively, you can enrol over the phone with our friendly student advisors – call 01 437 8559 or email email@example.com
This course costs €499.00 or only €25 per week on a no-deposit, interest-free payment plan. Click here to get started now.
This course takes approximately 70 hours, and you’ll have up to 6 months to complete. Study in your own time, at your own pace. Most of The Career Academy courses are designed so that you do one module a week, but if life gets busy, you can apply for a course extension if you need more time.
Upon completing this course, you could obtain work in the equine industry.
Contact a friendly student advisor on 01 437 8559 to learn about potential career outcomes and where our courses could take you. You’ll also receive a FREE CV review.
Your course is delivered through our online learning platform, which you can access from any web browser 24/7 to work whenever and wherever you want. You can also interact with your tutors and other students within the learning environment. Online learning allows you to make the best use of your time and puts all the necessary resources at your fingertips. There are no set course start dates; you can start whenever you are ready, and your tutors and student services will check in on your progress and help you every step of the way.
Watch this video to see how online learning works:
Absolutely! You’ve got a 14-day cooling-off period (trial period) at the start of your course. Take that time to review all your learning material and get a feel for online learning. If you decide the course isn’t for you within the trial period, you’ll get a full money-back guarantee*.
A Certificate in Horse care is a great way to break into the equine industry or learn how to care for your horse properly. Horse carers may work with event horses, dressage horses, show jumpers, or working horses on farms.